[Mailman-Users] HELP! Getting different Import Error: python2.2/lib-dynload/_socket.so: bad ELF flags value: 256

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Fri Dec 13 16:57:11 CET 2002

    SR> For that specific problem, we re-installed the previous
    SR> version (2.1) of python, and we do not get errors.  Installing
    SR> python 2.2 yields us the error.  It's pretty consistant in
    SR> terms of when we put on 2.2, we get the error, but when we put
    SR> back 2.1, we're fine.  So, we're at 2.1 and most things are
    SR> working... except for the list admin passwd authentication
    SR> problem that I have submitted in a different e-mail.

That's very strange, especially since when you say "Python 2.2" I
think you really mean Python 2.2.2.  Not sure which micro release
Python 2.1 is.  While it /shouldn't/ matter, Python 2.2.2 and Python
2.1.3 are recommended.

FTR, I run MM2.1cvs off of Python 2.1.3 on python.org (some mysterious
Linux distro) and Python 2.2.2 (RH7.3) on my personal domains.  I
haven't seen any problems, but that doesn't mean there aren't Python
issues on your particular platforms.

-Barry