What's hanging up mailman? [was Re: [Mailman-Users] elusive qrunner PID]

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Sat Dec 21 23:11:25 CET 2002

Stephen Lu wrote:

>Sendmail is in a loop trying to send a message out to a number of
>subscribers. The other sides are rejecting it because "Sender address
>rejected: Domain not found".

    This means your domain name is unresolvable by the recipient.  Fix
your DNS record.

>So Sendmail just kept trying and trying, and I can't send any new messages
>out over the list. New messages just get stacked in qfiles.
>
>So I've cleared out all files in qfiles and in locks, but Sendmail is still
>on a mission. How do I make it stop?

    That's because mailman will pass messages along to sendmail for
delivery.  What you say in 'qfiles' is only mailman's queue files.  You
need to clear our sendmail's queue as well.  Shut it off (service
sendmail stop), go into /var/spool/mqueue and clear it out, then start
sendmail again (service sendmail start).  Keep in mind that clearing out
/var/spool/mqueue means you're clearing out all other queue file that
doesn't belong to mailman as well.  It's up to you.

--
M | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.