[Mailman-Users] Newbie question

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Dec 24 04:54:03 CET 2002

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:39:38 -0500
Rob Jolliffe <robert at creativemfg.ca> wrote:

> I have a list with 1000 members on Yahoo groups (yech!).  I want to
> move this list on to my own server.  My SMTP server is going to be my
> ISP's server (I will be double checking with them) not my own.  When I
> send a 10k message to the 1000 users, will my Mailman send a single
> message to the SMTP server with 1000 addresses attached (or 100 or 50
> as per my configuration) or will it send 1 message per domain with the
> addresses attached?

RFC [2]822 recommends a maximum of 100 RCPT TO's per message.

> If anyone is running such a list (about 40 to 60 messages per day,
> maybe 5k average size, 1000 users)...

Yes.

> ... what bandwidth do you find is sufficient.

With QoS metrics and definitions as to the distribution of your target
MXes this can't be answered.  In my case my system is rather connected
(three T3s and two T1s), but then that's rather incidental to the tasks
I have it perform and wasn't a requirement of the hosting site.

> Just doing the straight math results in a requirement of 1 Mb per
> minute (174kB per second) upload speed to deliver messages within a 5
> minute window.

If you require a 5 minute delivery time to your ISP's smarthost, then
yes.  Do you require a 5 minute delivery window?  Really?

> This is pretty high bandwidth imho.  Does a mailing list really
> require this kind of thruput?

What QoS do you require?  Can your target MXes support that QoS?  Do
they even desire it, let alone require it?  Would anybody notice if it
were slower?

--
J C Lawrence