[Mailman-Users] Newbie question

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Dec 24 16:30:20 CET 2002

The way Mailman works by default is that it will break the message out
by domain.  Thus it will send one message to each domain - up to a
maximum of 100 folks at one domain, this is set in
~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py.

If there are 14 folks at one domain then only one message will be sent
to that domain's Mail server.  If there are 140 folks at one domain,
then two messages will be sent to that domain's mail server.

Bandwidth is not a normal concern for Mail servers since mail is a
"store and forward" service. If you have a need for large messages to
flow out quickly then bandwidth becomes a concern.

Also of concern in that case is tweaking Sendmail and your production
environment so that it handles mail as quickly as possible.  That being
the case, you should look at running Postfix (which comes optimized),
and also look at running a caching DNS server on the same machine as
Mailman/Postfix.

Good Luck! - Jon Carnes