[Mailman-Users] Newbie question

Rob Jolliffe robert at creativemfg.ca
Tue Dec 24 16:59:39 CET 2002

Hi JC,

To:             	robert at creativemfg.ca
Copies to:      	mailman-users at python.org
Subject:        	Re: [Mailman-Users] Newbie question
Date sent:      	Mon, 23 Dec 2002 19:54:03 -0800
From:           	J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu>

> On Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:39:38 -0500
> Rob Jolliffe <robert at creativemfg.ca> wrote:
>
> > I have a list with 1000 members on Yahoo groups (yech!).  I want to
> > move this list on to my own server.  My SMTP server is going to be my
> > ISP's server (I will be double checking with them) not my own.  When I
> > send a 10k message to the 1000 users, will my Mailman send a single
> > message to the SMTP server with 1000 addresses attached (or 100 or 50
> > as per my configuration) or will it send 1 message per domain with the
> > addresses attached?
>
> RFC [2]822 recommends a maximum of 100 RCPT TO's per message.

Fair enough.

> > If anyone is running such a list (about 40 to 60 messages per day,
> > maybe 5k average size, 1000 users)...
>
> Yes.
>
> > ... what bandwidth do you find is sufficient.
>
> With QoS metrics and definitions as to the distribution of your target
> MXes this can't be answered.  In my case my system is rather connected
> (three T3s and two T1s), but then that's rather incidental to the tasks
> I have it perform and wasn't a requirement of the hosting site.

I would have to analyze my target MXes - which I haven't done.  My bad.

My QoS is low.  99% should be fine.  99.9% would be fantastic.  This is a
volunteer list.

Here's a simple question I hope.  If I pass-through my messages to an
external SMTP server - does Mailman do the parsing of the messages into the
different MX domains or does it leave that up to the SMTP server?  In other
words does it send the SMTP server 10 messages with 100 addresses (for 1000
user list),  or does it pre-parse the list into domains and then send them?

> > Just doing the straight math results in a requirement of 1 Mb per
> > minute (174kB per second) upload speed to deliver messages within a 5
> > minute window.
>
> If you require a 5 minute delivery time to your ISP's smarthost, then
> yes.  Do you require a 5 minute delivery window?  Really?

5 minutes is a starting point,  but not necessarily what we will ultimately settle for.

Robert Jolliffe
President, Creative Manufacturing Solutions
Technology Partner, Dynac Inc.
www.creativemfg.ca  www.dynactools.ca

tel (519)585-7524