[Mailman-Users] Passwords of members

Steve Rifkin steve410 at cs.jhu.edu
Fri Dec 27 16:31:33 CET 2002

> My suggestion to you is that you re-install Python, then re-install
> Mailman.  Both are fairly easy to do.  The order is important - you
> definitely want to re-install Mailman after installing Python.

OK, reinstalled python.  Python works.  (v2.1)

Then, reinstalled mailman (v2.0.13).  Mailman still does *not* allow for admin
logins... only site and user logins.  No errors logged!

All built from "scratch"... i.e. with ./configure   make   make install
on Solaris 2.6.

> Good Luck (and if you happen to hang that way: Merry Christmas!)

Have a great holiday.  Thanks!  :)

Oh, and if you have any other ideas on what to do (anybody reading), please let
me know.  This is very frustrating.

I'd love to downgrade back to 2.08 without losing my 2.0.13 archive data.
Anyone know how?   2.08 had worked fine before the 2.13 upgrade.  But, 2.08
won't let me install it, because a higher version is already on.

Steve

> Jon Carnes
>
> ======
> On Mon, 2002-12-23 at 15:29, Steve Rifkin wrote:
> > Hi Jon!
> >
> > Well, I did what you said... I used dumpdb to look at the encrypted password
for
> > a list.  Then I changed the list admin pw for th list (logged in as the site
> > admin), and did a dumpdb again.  I get the same encrypted password for the
list
> > admin (and therefore, still cannot log in as the admin).
> >
> > What else can I try?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Steve
> > steve410 at cs.jhu.edu
> >
> > > Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Passwords of members
> > > From: Jon Carnes <jonc at nc.rr.com>
> > > To: Steve Rifkin <steve410 at cs.jhu.edu>
> > > Date: 14 Dec 2002 20:36:07 -0500
> > > In this version of Mailman the admin password for the list is encrypted,
> > > well sort of... If you want to be clever and look at the source you can
> > > easily figure this part out.
> > >
> > > In any case, I've seen this problem before after an upgrade and it seems
> > > to be that the encryption has changed.  Normally resetting the password
> > > via the web-admin works.  I don't know why it's not working in your case
> > > - unless you upgraded python and didn't re-install Mailman.
> > >
> > > You might want to use dumpdb to look at the encrypted password, then try
> > > to change it via the web admin and use dumpdb to see if it actually
> > > changed.
> > >
> > > Good Luck - Jon Carnes

> > like

> > the

> > listed

> > we
> > 2.0.13)

Steve Rifkin - JHU CS Dept Sr. Unix Systems Administrator
               Technical Director
steve410 at cs.jhu.edu
410-516-6281