[Mailman-Users] 2 questions...removing headers & viewing bounces

Golda Velez gvelez at webglimpse.net
Sat Dec 28 04:02:46 CET 2002

Thanks for the quick reply!

Is there any way to view the full bounce responses with headers?  I'm just
getting the actual message back, with none of the SMTP bounce headers that
would explain why they are bouncing.  And, I can send mail individually to
the users on the list with no problem.

My apologies if this is obvious, but I didn't see anything on it in the
docs I read...

--Golda

At 12:49 PM 12/26/02 -0500, Jon Carnes wrote:
>On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 11:06, Golda Velez wrote:
>> Hello Mailman folks
>>
>> Thanks very much for great & needed software - I've been using Majordomo
>> for years but Mailman on first go-round looks much easier to administer,
>> and the big plus is auto-handling of bounced messages.
>>
>> However - two questions, that I can't find anywhere in the docs
>>
>> 	1) Can I safely remove a lot of the headers from
>> Mailman/Handlers/CookHeaders.py?  There's just too much for users to have
>> to wade thru on every message, I want the end-user messages to be as clean
>> and brief as possible.  I did remove some, but I'd like to know if its
>> kosher to do so...
>>
>It fine to dump the headers.  It's totally your call.  The headers were
>added in compliance to a new mailing list standard (a good standard that
>mail-clients haven't caught up with yet).
>

>	2) I'm getting what appears to be spurious bounce notices, but I don't
seem to be able to view the actual bounced message in order to see why.  I
have a list with 4 users including myself, and the 3 remote users are all
reporting bounces on every message, even though I can mail them by hand
without a problem.  (Maybe related to my header removal?  But some of the
bounces were before I did that)

Golda Velez         gvelez at webglimpse.net       626-792-9277
Internet Workshop                          http://iwhome.com
Webglimpse Search Software             http://webglimpse.net