[Mailman-Users] can't resolve "smrsh: mailman not available for sendmail programs" issue

Larry Rosenman ler at lerctr.org
Mon Dec 30 04:38:21 CET 2002

--On Sunday, December 29, 2002 19:31:51 -0800 Keith Steward
<ksteward at keithsteward.com> wrote:

> Larry,
>
> BINGO!  You hit the nail on the head !!! Problem solved!
Glad I could help!.

> Your comment prompted me to review the smrsh.c code within the sendmail
> distribution.  When CMDDIR is not defined by the OS (I couldn't find in
> in any system *.h files), then in smrsh.c it defaults to /usr/adm/sm.bin/
> .  Even though RedHat7.2 already has an /etc/smrsh/ directory (including
> a link entry there for slocal), the Sendmail (at least the 8.11.6 version
> I downloaded and installed) was not using that directory.  Instead, it
> was looking for the default /usr/adm/sm.bin/.  The /etc/smrsh/ directory
> was a red herring!  Once I created the /usr/adm/sm.bin, and chmod 755
> (recommended by the smrsch/README within Sendmail), and then set up the
> symbolic link in there:     mailman -> /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman
> the problem disappeared.
Damnit, I hate it when that happens.  I think it's supposed to be defined
within SENDMAIL's
buildtools stuff....

BUT, even looking in my 8.12.6 tree nothing defines it.

Glad you found it, and you are on your way.

LER

> Thanks!!!
My pleasure.

Phone: +1 972-414-9812                 E-Mail: ler at lerctr.org