[Mailman-Users] Apache Alias

Scott Anderson sda at mail.torand.org
Mon Feb 4 15:23:14 CET 2002

I am making the assumption that you are not versed in Apache.

the current apache server software uses only the httpd.conf file. Older
versions have three files: srm.conf, access.conf and httpd.conf.

I run apache 1.3.14 and it still has the three files broken out, so I am
assuming that is how yours is.

Either way, the directive is in the httpd.conf file

edit this files and look for a line something like this:

# Aliases: Add here as many aliases as you need (with no limit). The
format is
# Alias fakename realname

The directive below allows you to alias the directories, in mine I have
this for pipermail

Alias /pipermail/ /opt/mailman/archives/public/

<Directory "/opt/mailman/archives/public/">
     Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>

The directory directive defines how the access to the directory. Look at
the manual for a more indepth explaination.

Below this you should also find a ScriptAlias directive. This is how you
alias your script directory

Mine looks like this:

ScriptAlias /mailman/ "/opt/mailman/cgi-bin/"

<Directory "/opt/mailman/cgi-bin">
     AllowOverride None
     Options ExecCGI
     Order allow,deny
     Allow from all
</Directory>

If you have any more questions let me know