[Mailman-Users] Feature request

jgo john at nisus.com
Tue Feb 5 06:57:22 CET 2002

> Sun, 2002-02-03 09:37:51 +0100 Matthias Jaenichen wrote:
> even if you use TEXT, but have nonstandard chars in the text/subject like
> "äöü" the archives become unreadable.

> I think the problem here is that the format it is stored in the archives is
> the only "transportable" one. If we strip html, the message might loose
> significant information, if we transform into something Windows-readable it
> might not readable by MACs or UNIX.

Store the Unicode where a vast number of characters are "standard".
Windoze & Macintosh can both handle it that I know.  <http://www.unicode.org>
Besides, if people want to use XML, it's needed.

As to your question about encodings in a Subject:, there is provision
for specifying encoding.  Not all versions of all e-mail clients
support them.  <plug> Nisus Email does. </plug>

John G. Otto, Eagle Scout, Knight, Cybernetic Praxeologist
Existence, Consciousness, Identity, Life, Liberty, Property, Privacy, Justice
<http://gosc.nisus.com/~giovanni>