[Mailman-Users] /etc/aliases and new lists?

Caleb Epstein cae at bklyn.org
Tue Feb 5 16:45:42 CET 2002

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 03:14:22PM +0000, Michael Styer wrote:

> list, but I've just had someone suggest to me that my script will
> need to edit /etc/aliases as well in order for the list to function
> properly.  Is this true?  If so, can anyone explain what I would
> need to add to /etc/aliases for each list in order to make them
> function correctly?

	By default, newlist doensn't modify /etc/aliases.  If you run
	newlist -o /etc/aliases, it will add the aliases for you (it
	appends to the file).  You may then need to run your
	appropriate MTA's "newaliases" command if it has one.

	A plug for exim (my MTA of choice): you can configure exim such
	that no entries in /etc/aliases are required at all.  See this
	URL for details and configuration file snippets:

	http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman.html

	Three cheers for Mailman, and three more for exim!

--
Caleb Epstein |  bklyn . org  |  Real computer scientists like having a
    cae at    | Brooklyn Dust |  computer on their desk, else how could they