[Mailman-Users] problem changing defaults

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Wed Feb 13 14:19:08 CET 2002

At 14:05 13/02/2002 +0100, Jeroen Valcke wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 12:18:57PM +0000, Richard Barrett wrote:
> > Don't mean to be rude but you are editing the mm_cfg.py that doing 'make
> > install' put in file $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py and not the one in your
> > Mailman build directory?
>
>Do you mean, one must recompile everytime you change these defaults?

I did not say anything like that.

>Indeed I'm editing $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py since this is instructed in
>the manual.
>I quote from the manual
>
>     - The file $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py contains a number of
>       defaults for your installation.  If any of these are incorrect,
>       override them in $prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py, NOT IN Defaults.py!
>       See the comments in Defaults.py for details.  Once a list is
>       created, editing many of these variables will have no effect
>       (you need to configure your lists through the web admin
>       interface or through the command line script bin/config_list).
>
>Where prefix is your install dir.
>Can somebody clarify this?

My original question was intended to clarify that you had done the right thing.

Some changes in defaults put in mm_cfg.py do not affect existing mail lists
because the default value is transferred into the list's own config when
the list is created. It might be worth creating a second test list and
seeing if that picks up the original or revised defaults.