[Mailman-Users] Converting majordomo archives to pipermail

Morgan Fletcher morgan at hahaha.org
Fri Feb 15 09:15:49 CET 2002

I've got 360MB of ASCII majordomo archives, all files in the form
listname.YYYYMM. I'd like to grandfather them into the pipermail archives
our list will be creating, once it's run by mailman.

How do the monthly text archives from majordomo correspond to the files
down in archives/private?

I tried concatenating the first six months of majordomo archives into
archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox, then running 'bin/arch
listname'. It looked like it worked, but it's slow. I had to iterate the
process a couple times, because some old messages were misinterpreted as
very recent. (February 2002, instead of late 1996)

Is the mbox file just one giant text file that keeps growing?

Did I do it the right way? Is there any documentation for the version of
pipermail that comes with mailman?

Morgan