[Mailman-Users] Subscribe users without confirmation

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Tue Feb 19 18:03:51 CET 2002

On Tue, Feb 19, 2002 at 09:20:08AM +0000, Hakon Brynildsen wrote:
> You can also change some default parameters in mm_cfg.py, but listen to
> Merlin's warning.

Actually I read "unsubscribe" instead of subscribe. For open unsubscribes in
mailman 2.0, you need a CGI gateway.
For open subscribes, you should use the mailman setting here:

> > # does this site allow completely unchecked subscriptions?
> > ALLOW_OPEN_SUBSCRIBE = 0

> Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > Of course, it then lets me unsubscribe you, but in some cases that's an
> > acceptable tradeoff

Actually it's different.
Open unsubscribes on the internet can be acceptable.'
Open subscriber _never_ are.

In other words, you should never have a list on the internet where people
can subscribe other people against their weill.
If you do, you can eventually get subscribed to the MAPS blacklist
http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/3wayhandshake.txt

Marc

PS: add_members has a bug where if you feed it a list of members on the
command line, it indeed doesn't work. You have to feed them via pipe
and use -n -