[Mailman-Users] Group error message

tim tim at 7thheaven.org
Fri Feb 22 04:45:55 CET 2002

Bob Sully wrote:

>Hey all - could someone tip me off as to the problem here?
>
>[mailman at firefox: ~]$ /var/mailman/bin/check_perms
>Traceback (innermost last):
>  File "/var/mailman/bin/check_perms", line 50, in ?
>    MAILMAN_GRPNAME = grp.getgrgid(MAILMAN_GID)[0]
>TypeError: illegal argument type for built-in operation

Yes... you are probably using a crudded up Defaults.py.
I've found that some RPMs of mailman seem to have MAILMAN_UID = 'mailman',
and MAILMAN_GID = 'mailman', which clearly breaks the Python code.

If you open Defaults.py and change them to whatever the numerical value of
mailman is in your /etc/passwd and /etc/group, it'll work.