[Mailman-Users] mailman 2.0.8 problems

Thomas Hillson hillson at iastate.edu
Mon Feb 25 16:05:02 CET 2002

These lists vary from 10 users to 150 and there are not dead 
addresses as they have been running for over 6 months clean, then the 
problem crops up where the qrunner justs starts messing up. I have 
over 100 lists on my servers and only about six that are causing 

At 3:59 PM -0800 2/22/02, Morgan Fletcher wrote:
>Thomas Hillson <hillson at iastate.edu> writes:
>>  The first involves qrunner, what happens is that a list gets locked and no
>>  mail will go through it.
>Tom, when I first moved my 1800-member list to mailman, it had upwards of
>200 dead addresses. Those 200 dead addresses caused a lot of bounces, and
>for some reason the bounces seemed to reach critical mass, wedging the CPU
>and causing qrunner to abend. Qrunner was in cron, subsequent qrunner
>attempts started stacking up in the locks directory. First thing I did was
>to comment the qrunner cron job.
>I sent email to all 1800 addresses with a script: "I am getting ready to
>change the list, here's the status." (et cetera) I got back about 250
>bounces, and I removed those addresses with bin/remove_members. Then I
>carefully deleted all the bounces from the qfiles directory, one *.msg/*.db
>pair at a time. I made sure no qrunner or other mailman processes were
>running, cleaned out all the locks and ran qrunner. It's been humming along
>at one-minute intervals since with no problems. List is ~1620 addresses,
>about 100 messages a day, none larger than 30kb.
>Mailman-Users maillist  -  Mailman-Users at python.org


| Tom Hillson                 Computer Services Manager
| hillson at iastate.edu         College of Agriculture
| http://www.ag.iastate.edu   Iowa State University
| (515) 294-1543 phone        B2 Curtiss Hall
| (515) 294-1349 fax          Ames, IA   50011
|"The only thing I have too much of is too little time"

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list