[Mailman-Users] I Suppose that MailMan doesn't work with IPLANET/NETSCAPE Messaging?

cms at balius.com cms at balius.com
Wed Feb 27 19:29:55 CET 2002

Serigo,

NMS and iMS are _not_ the same product.  I hate what we (I work for
Sun) did with the branding.  Most products we simply rebranded iPlanet
but when it comes to mail that really is not fair and it could be the
same thing for other products as well.

iMS is the best components of 3 products, PMDF (MTA), SIMS (Domain
Hosting), and NMS (store,pop,imap,webmail).  Note that SIMS gets its
MTA from PMDF as well.

>From the other posts that I've read you are using NMS 4.15.  If your
software license premits it upgrade to iMS as fast as you can.  (iMS
5.2 may have just RTM'd today.)  I've done such upgrades not hard to
do.  The learning curve is the MTA.

While I run mailman here at home, due to local issues, it runs on a
different machine than iMS.  Mailman uses the local MTA (sendmail)
which then forwards everything off to iMS for delivery.

Eventually I'll migrate the mailman installation I have running over to
be all iMS.  Majordomo and Mailman have similar interfaces with the MTA
(wrapper) and since I know that Majordomo has been done with PMDF, I'm
willing to bet that Mailman can be integrated with iMS.

As for NMS, I am blissfully ignorant about most parts of it.  I know
many us in Sun can not wait until that product is EOL'd.

Regards,
Chad