[Mailman-Users] list removal and making a list public

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 11:02:29 CET 2002

At 23:55 08/01/2002 -0600, Darren wrote:
>I have two questions.
>Question 1:
>
>How do you make a list public?  I know how use the url to get to it.  See,
>http://www.kneedeep.org/mailman/listinfo/test.  But, if you go to
>mailman that says "Welcome!  There currently are no publicly-advertised
>mailman mailing lists on www.kneedeep.org".

why not use the Privacy Options Section of the admin web GUI for the list
concerned to set its 'advertised' option (the first one on the page)?

you might also like to decide whether you want newly created lists to be
advertised by default. If so ensure the value of DEFAULT_LIST_ADVERTISED =
1 in $prefix/Mailman/Defaults.py and if necessary override this in
$prefix/Mailman/mm_cfg.py

>I do have the option on in the privacy area of the admin set to "make it
>available to listinfo".
>
>Question 2:
>
>I have 2 test lists that I want to delete.  I have tried ./rmlist from the
>bin directory many times without success.  Can I just remove the references
>to it in the /list directory and the archives?

it would help if you said how "without success" manifested itself. Are you
running rmlist as a user with appropriate privileges, e.g as root or mailman?

if use the -a option on rmlist the list archives are also deleted (as
revealed by running rmlist with the -h option).