[Mailman-Users] Ignoring duplicate messages?

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Wed Jan 9 18:32:38 CET 2002

Add method to FAQ, please!!

The means you describe is something I've been intending to
figure out how to do with procmail for ages ... been waiting
to find that Round Tuit.

Thanks!

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 11:58:22AM -0500, Paul Tomblin wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 04:43:11PM +0000, Melanie Dymond Harper wrote:
> > I've got some users who hit "reply-to-all" and thus wind up with two
> > copies of the message coming towards the list concerned. I realise that
> > the best way round this is user education (!), but is there any code within
> > Mailman which will spot duplicates and ignore them? It is duplicates with
> > the same Message-ID with which I'm concerned.
>
> Run the list mail through procmail before going to the list.  (I already
> wrote up how to do that in the faq.)  In the procmail filter, put the
> following code up near the top:
>
> :0 Whc: msgid.lock
> | formail -D 8192 /tmp/msgid.cache
>
> :0 a:
> /dev/null
>
> The first bit keeps a message id cache of the last 8192 message ids
> recieved on the list, and the second bit deletes any messages whose
> message id matches one in the cache.
>

> --
> Paul Tomblin <ptomblin at xcski.com>, not speaking for anybody
> Things should be as simple as possible, but not simpler.
>                                              -- Albert Einstein

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>   Technical Manager & Editor
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://embedded.linuxjournal.com/