[Mailman-Users] Hierarchical mailing-lists?

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Thu Jan 10 12:40:58 CET 2002

At 11:51 10/01/2002 +0100, Jerome Warnier wrote:
>I didn't find that link by myself, sorry.
>I did not know anyway that that was called "Umbrella-list".
>
>Anyway, that's not what I want.
>I want exactly the same as what he says in this FAQ: an Umbrella-list who
>smartly identifies members belonging to multiple lists and doesn't send the
>same message twice.

As the FAQ says Umbrella list do not do that and there are good reasons for
this being so, which is why it is so. When you have a moment analyse the
logic required for the more general case, when the sub-lists of an umbrella
list are not all lists maintained by a single mailman installation; what
then is the general method to prevent multiple deliveries to any given
message to each single user? Umbrella lists seek to deal with that more
general case as best they can.

If umbrella lists do not meet your need then I think you will find some
recipes posted in the mailman-users archives for cron runnable scripts to
generate and maintain consolidated superlists from the memberships of other
lists. Such a script can eliminate posting duplications in the way you
desire. I've forwarded to you under separate cover a post from Pug Bainter
<pug at pug.net> dated Tue, 4 Sep 2001 19:07:14 -0500 which might get you started

>But, the script proposed is not enough dynamic for me. And I don't see any
>way
>to get it to do what I want exactly.
>What if a user goes on vacation, does he have to switch delivery off any
>single
>list he belongs to?

Sorry but I've missed the point are you making with the reference to user
vacation?