[Mailman-Users] www install

Richard Barrett R.Barrett at ftel.co.uk
Tue Jan 29 11:06:24 CET 2002

At 20:53 28/01/2002 -0600, Steven Schermerhorn wrote:
>Does the 'make install' install the some webpages in '/var/www/html/'
>somewhere?
>
>I have installed mailman to /home/mailman . Permissions are good and
>apache is configured to let /home/mailman/cgi-bin run cgi scripts, but
>what good does that do? /home/mailman is not on my webserver! Does it need
>to be?
>
>-Steven

Mailman's web GUI is generated by the scripts in /home/mailman/cgi-bin so
the Apache server you want to deliver the GUI pages must be able to access
and execute the scripts. When executed, these scripts must also have access
to Mailman directory structure to access the data files therein.

If your web server runs on a different machine to Mailman then you must use
NFS (or some such transparent file sharing scheme) to provide the
appropriate access. This is briefly touched on in section "4. Final system
set-up" of the INSTALL file in the Mailman build directory.