[Mailman-Users] Issue with cron in new installation

Erik van der Meulen e.van.der.meulen at avondel.nl
Thu Jan 31 09:32:22 CET 2002

Dear Mailman people - I am new to this list, new to Mailman and not too
much off a wizz in this respect, so I hope my question does not upset
anyone.

I have just installed Mailman 1.1 on my Debian/GNU box (2.2). The
packaging system seems to handle that quite well. I have made a 'test'
list and things seemed to work.
Next I tried to figure out the frequency of resending the posts, and I
found a script 'mailman' in /etc/cron.d which reads:

  12,42 * * * *     list    [ -x /usr/bin/python -a -f \
    /usr/lib/mailman/cron/run_queue ] && /usr/bin/python \
    /usr/lib/mailman/cron/run_queue
  */5 * * * *     list    [ -x /usr/bin/python -a -f \
    /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news ] && /usr/bin/python \
    /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news

Next I have changed this first '12,42' into '/3' because I hoped to
execute the queue every 3 min rather than every half hour.
Since I have touched that script, I receive error mails to root every 3
minutes (quite sure I did not get them every half hour before) saying:

  +/usr/lib/mailman/cron/run_queue ] && /usr/bin/python
  +/usr/lib/mailman/cron/run_queue

  /bin/sh: list: command not found

and also a mail that I made to the test list resulted in: