[Mailman-Users] Re: MimeFilter integration with Mailman

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu Jun 6 21:11:16 CEST 2002

On Sun, 02 Jun 2002 15:34:10 -0700
J C Lawrence <J> wrote:

> --<cut>--
> #!/bin/bash

> # Syntax:
> #
> # mimestrip <action> <target>
> #
> # Both arguments will be passed to /var/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper
> # in the same order, without change.
> #
> # All other arguments will be gleefully discarded.
> #
> # Author: J C Lawrence <claw at kanga.nu>
> #
> --<cut>--

I've been running this for 3 days on two of my medium traffic lists in
safety mode where in maintains mboxes of the messages before and after
filtering.

  $ ls -l /tmp/mimestrip.p*
  -rw------- 1 nobody nogroup  526210 Jun 6 11:45 /tmp/mimestrip.postfilter
  -rw------- 1 nobody nogroup 1225122 Jun 6 11:45 /tmp/mimestrip.prefilter

That's quite a difference for 3 days: 682KB.  Quick examination of the
differences suggests that the majority (over 80%) of it is KLEZ and
various other virii.  The particularly nice thing about this is that
within those same three days no virus messages have made it thru to the
moderation queue for the subject lists, and only two SPAM messages have
made it thru to the moderation queues.  That's a considerable decrease
from prior rates.  As you can see from the numbers as well, its also a
considerable byteage decrease, resulting in a more responsive moderation
interface (I typically moderate queues of 20 - 40 valid messages at a
time with the entire message in the "excerpt" textarea, so reducing the
total size of the submitted form is valued).

Very pleasant.

The relevant aspects of my mimefilter.rc:

--<cut>--
@::ammessi = (
              'text/plain',
              'application/pgp-signature',
              'message/rfc822',
              );
@::nonammessi = (
                  'text/html',
                  'application/octet-stream',
                  'message/digest',
                  'text/enriched',
                  'text/richtext'
                 );
--<cut>--

I've also re-written the various email reply messages.  Those interested
can find a copy of the relevant files here:

  ftp://ftp.kanga.nu/pub/kanga.Nu/mimestrip

--
J C Lawrence