[Mailman-Users] order of checking in mailman

Jeff Garvas jeff at cia.net
Mon Jun 3 23:13:26 CEST 2002

I've found either a configuration error (on my part) or a possible flaw in
the way mailman checks posts to lists.  Others may not consider this a
flaw, and I appologize if I've managed to miss this in any previous
discussions.

I created a list for testing and told it to limit posts to those
individuals who are already subscribed to the list.

Then I told it to make the list moderated, forcing approval of each
message.

It appears when I send messages to the list from a non-subscribed address,
they show up in the administrative tasks as "Reason: Post to moderated
list" when in fact they should show up (in my opinion) as "Reason: Post by
non-member to a members-only list"

Otherwise, unless I'm missing something, you have no way of knowing if the
moderated post you're reading is from a list-subscriber or not.

Is there a way to make mailman check the subscription issue prior to
simply bouncing the message to the queue due to the list being moderated?

The only flaw I can see is if this would cause the message to go through
the approval process twice, but I'm sure that could be solved as well.

p.s. - I wrote this out and then realized I'm mailing a mailing list, so
if you reply, please consider sending it to me directly or via a cc:

Thanks!

-jeff