[Mailman-Users] Reply-To option, Author Name and Archives

Topaz11green at aol.com Topaz11green at aol.com
Tue Jun 4 07:09:02 CEST 2002

Hello,

I've searched the archives, the FAQ and google and couldn't find the answer
to this question. So, any help is appreciated.

I'm moving our lists from Majordomo to Mailman and have set up a test list
where I've sent some test messages from several different e-mail accounts. I
have the following configuration options set:

General:
Where are replies to list messages directed? Poster is strongly recommended
for most mailing lists. This list
Privacy:
Hide the sender of a message, replacing it with the list address (Removes
From, Sender and Reply-To fields)  No

When I look at the archives on the web, if the "From:" field in the test.mbox
file is in the format of "User Name" <user at example.com> (or else User
<user at example.com> - quotes don't matter unless there is a special character,
and this field, the GECOS field? is generated by the MUA, I think) then User
Name is displayed as the Author. If the "From:" field is in the format of
someone at isp.com (this is how I've seen the headers from my AOL account) then
the Author is the list e-mail address.

When I look at the archived message in either case, the e-mail address of the
author is the list e-mail address.

If I change the "Reply-To:" option from "This List" to "Poster" then the
author in the archives html file is the actual author, not the list.

Since this is a discussion list, it's useful to have the "Reply-To:" option
set up as "This List."

The archive of this list is private and subscription needs to be authorized.
It would be useful for our users to see who actually wrote something, rather
than the listname in the author field.

E-mail works fine, it's just the archives, which my users really want, that
are confusing me.

Thanks for your help.

-Susan