[Mailman-Users] mm 2.0.11, web interface and file permissions

M Taylor mctaylor at privacy.nb.ca
Fri Jun 7 23:43:12 CEST 2002

I'm using mailman 2.0.11, qmail 1.0.3, and apache 1.3.23 on
a linux 2.2 / glibc-2.1.3 system

mailman was configured with:
./configure --with-mail-gid=nofiles --with-cgi-gid=nobody

and ~mailman/bin/check_perms returns with no problems found
when run was root or mailman.

I set up a test list, and subscribed via email with no problem,
but after I use the web based admin interface
<.../mailman/admin/test>
the file permissions for the config.db appears to be wrong
and mailman stops doing anything via email, including
sending mailing list messages and handling subscriptions.

ls -l ~mailman/lists/test/config.db

-rw-rw-r--    1 mailman  mailman      1706 Sep 14  2001 admindbpreamble.html
-rw-rw----    1 nobody   mailman      4537 Jun  7 22:36 config.db
-rw-rw----    1 mailman  mailman      4537 Jun  7 21:26 config.db.last
-rw-rw-r--    1 mailman  mailman       189 Sep 14  2001 handle_opts.html

ls -ld ~mailman/lists/test

drwsrwsr-x    2 mailman  mailman      4096 Jun  7 22:36 /home/mailman/lists/test

If I force the config.db to be owned by mailman and permissions of
664 then things okay until I (as admin or list manager) or anyone
else (general subscriber) uses the web interface.

I was wondering if it could be a umask related problem, but that
wouldn't explain the change in owner would it?

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

--
M Taylor