[Mailman-Users] mm 2.0.11, web interface and file permissions

M Taylor mctaylor at privacy.nb.ca
Fri Jun 7 23:43:12 CEST 2002

I'm using mailman 2.0.11, qmail 1.0.3, and apache 1.3.23 on
a linux 2.2 / glibc-2.1.3 system

mailman was configured with:
./configure --with-mail-gid=nofiles --with-cgi-gid=nobody

and ~mailman/bin/check_perms returns with no problems found
when run was root or mailman.

I set up a test list, and subscribed via email with no problem,
but after I use the web based admin interface
the file permissions for the config.db appears to be wrong
and mailman stops doing anything via email, including
sending mailing list messages and handling subscriptions.

ls -l ~mailman/lists/test/config.db

-rw-rw-r--    1 mailman  mailman      1706 Sep 14  2001 admindbpreamble.html
-rw-rw----    1 nobody   mailman      4537 Jun  7 22:36 config.db
-rw-rw----    1 mailman  mailman      4537 Jun  7 21:26 config.db.last
-rw-rw-r--    1 mailman  mailman       189 Sep 14  2001 handle_opts.html

ls -ld ~mailman/lists/test

drwsrwsr-x    2 mailman  mailman      4096 Jun  7 22:36 /home/mailman/lists/test

If I force the config.db to be owned by mailman and permissions of
664 then things okay until I (as admin or list manager) or anyone
else (general subscriber) uses the web interface.

I was wondering if it could be a umask related problem, but that
wouldn't explain the change in owner would it?

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you.

M Taylor