[Mailman-Users] how to create an announce-only list / newsletter / admin-post only list

Nils Vogels nivo+mailman-users at yuckfou.org
Thu Jun 20 17:17:58 CEST 2002

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 05:01:24PM +0200, Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
> Nils Vogels wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 06:49:55PM +0200, Joern Nettingsmeier wrote:
> > > hello *
> > >
> > > i have added a faq entry describing $(subject):
> > > http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq03.011.htp.
> > > please review and correct if necessary.
> >
> > Is it in some way possible to prevent people from unsubscribing from such
> > lists ?
>
> luckily, no.

Could you please explain me, why it is a good thing that people can not
unsubscribe from such a list ?

I can imagine cases where the administrator of the list finds it important
that a message gets delivered to all the people /he/ wishes to explicitly
receive the message.

While I agree this could easily be used for UCE, imagine a list of people you
want to send a christmas-postcard via email to. I'd really like the good
things from mailman, such as bounce detection, archiving etc, while I also
want to make sure that each of my online friends gets the digital postcard.

Gr,

--
Nils Vogels		PGP:0xC26BD15F Available on keyservers.
	--> setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu. Will you find aliens?

My other computer is your windows box.