[Mailman-Users] Wrapper

Scott Courtney courtney at 4th.com
Wed Jun 26 14:43:45 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 25 June 2002 04:14 pm, Gour wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 01:49:18PM -0400, Tracy Snell wrote:
> > Just needed to install the cron jobs. Didn't realize they were needed for
> > delivery. All is well now. Running virtual domains, it all is working as
> > advertised.
>
> What do you mean?
>
> I executed: crontab crontab.in and when I check crons with: crontab -l,
> it shows that cron jobs from crontab.in are active, but still - no
> delivery.
>
> Is there something else what I am missing?

Good morning! The crontab.in file probably does not contain the qrunner line.
I think the developers intend to have that running standalone as a daemon, but
on my installation that consumed excessive CPU even if the delay constants
were nonzero. So I'm running with the following line in my crontab:

* * * * * /usr/bin/python -S /(path)/bin/qrunner -o -r All >> (logfile) 2>&1

Salient details:

"* * * * *" means run once per minute.
"(path)" should be replaced with the path to Mailman's install directory
"(logfile)" should be replaced with a logfile name of your choice.
And of course, drop the parentheses.

NOTA BENE: Check the accuracy of the "-o" and "-r All" parameters by running it
manually before putting in your crontab. I'm using Mailman 2.1b2 and am not 100%
sure the params haven't changed. But the fundamental point -- that you won't get
delivery unless the qrunner is active -- still stands.

If you run this in the root crontab (not advised, but possible) you'll need an
extra parameter near the beginning of the line for the userid owning the
process.

Scott

--
Scott Courtney         | "I don't mind Microsoft making money. I mind them