[Mailman-Users] Installation on Mac OSX

Thomas Hillson hillson at iastate.edu
Wed Mar 6 19:49:20 CET 2002

Michael,

Did you look in the /etc/passd and /etc/group to see if the user and
group were actually placed there. OS-X does not put all the users and
groups in /etc files as it does not use them for all its functions.
It uses the Net-Info files which are different and not all users and
groups that I can created on my OS-X computer are in the passwd and
group files.

>On Tuesday, March 5, 2002, at 08:10 PM, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>
>The master himself speaks!
>
>>Did you in fact create user mailman? It's complaining it doesn't exist.
>>
>I made the user and a group using Server Admin.  Then, I tried on
>OSX client using --with-groupname=staff and still had a problem.
>
>>If you've created it, it may be that mailman and/or python needs to be made
>>netinfo aware. But I kjnow others have gotten mailman running fine under
>>MacOS x. it's something I've got on my plate for Real Soon Now (in fact,
>>talked ot my boss about that today....)
>>
>I guess the trick is making one or both of them NetInfo aware.  I
>looked in the archives and didn't see anything on that specifically.
>Know if someone like Scott Anguish has done anything with this?  I
>didn't see anything on stepwise.
>
>-Michael

--Tom