[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] Feedback needed: nodupes patch and reply-to munging per user

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Mon Mar 11 22:52:52 CET 2002

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 03:59:32PM -0500, Bob Puff at NLE wrote:
> Hi Marc & gang,
>
> I think that having those options would be nice, but also please allow for
> reply-to  being forced  back to  the list  (regardless of  user settings).
> Some of us require that.

If you read my patch, you'll see that the option is still there.
While you can  argue that if all the  users can set the option,  and you can
make the option default for new  users, you don't need the listwide munging,
but I'm also aware that removing  the list-wide option probably wouldn't fly
real well :-)

The patch however does allow the site owner to "hide" the list-wide munging
since it's not really needed anymore in most cases.
But yes, my patch only adds options, it doesn't remove any.

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:32:59PM -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> The other thing I'd like like to see is an option to 'strip all reply-tos'

It's already in mailman-cvs (DEFAULT_FIRST_STRIP_REPLY_TO)
(not written by me)

> (imagine this scenario: I'm mad at someone. So I log onto a mac mailing list
> and say "microsoft rules!" -- and set the reply-to to the person I'm mad at.
> If you don't strip that reply-to, all the angry replies go back to the poor
> schmuck in the reply-to -- and since I've already abandoned the hotmail
> account I used to start the bomb, I'm off scott free....)

I was actually arguing with Barry whether DEFAULT_FIRST_STRIP_REPLY_TO was
needed if you weren't doing listwide munging, but and you just gave a good
example of when it could be useful.
Thanks.

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 01:03:14PM -0800, alex wetmore wrote:

> Can you provide information on the extra processing that it requires?
> It doesn't do anything crazy like send a message per recipient to the
> MTA, does it?

Nope :-)

>From the patch:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2002-March/011068.html

+# As soon as a list member selects this, it will cause each message to be
+# duplicated in your spool (one copy with reply-to, and one copy without), and
+# it will also force a scan of the list userlist to see which user gets which
+# message. You may notice a slowdown on lists with several thousand users.
+# List admins will be allowed to turn this on and off on a per list basis,
+# but this variable takes precedence over the listmaster(s) setting
+# Set to 1 to enable
+SITEWIDE_ALLOW_PER_USER_REPLYTO_MUNGING = 1

I also have an optimization in there  that disables the mail split and extra
processing if no one in the list requested reply-to munging (which hopefully
is the general case on most lists)

Marc