[Mailman-Users] Mailman can't handle MIME: Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable?

James Madill James.Madill at duke.edu
Wed Mar 13 22:40:02 CET 2002

Users of one of my mailing lists got a nasty surprise when a posted
message was repeatedly sent to them.

I traced the problem down to an instance of the standard End-Of-Message
marker (a lone period on a line) in the middle of the posted message.

The posted message contained extended ASCII characters encoded using the
MIME Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable format.  There was what
appeared to be soft returns at column 72.  This message happened to have a
paragraph that ended on column 73, so the "soft return" resulted in the
period alone on the next line.

Sendmail accepted the encoded document for Mailman, but on sending out,
Mailman encountered what it thought was an EOM marker and stopped the
processing of the message at that point.  Unfortunately, there was still
plenty of message left to send, so it was not removed from the queue, and
Mailman kept on sending the first portion.

The smtp daemon is sendmail 8.12.1.  Mailman is version 2.0.8 with
DELIVERY_MODULE = 'SMTPDirect' in Defaults.py.

Am I missing some Mailman switch to tell it to recognize messages with the

-- James

    o      _____            |James Madill         | |Duke Univ Med Ctr|
 >.][__n_n_| D[  ====|____  |james.madill at duke.edu| | (919) 286-6384  |
 _/oo  O-O-O  `  oo     oo  'o^o^o           o^o^o` 'o^o           o^o`