[Mailman-Users] wrong gid

Frank Thommen thommen at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 19 13:38:41 CET 2002

Hi Lito,

> 1. when confirming I received this error message. What should i do?
>
> ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> "|/export/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test"
>    (reason: 2)
>    (expanded from: <test-request at xyz.com>)
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 1, GOT gid 2001.  (Reconfigure to
> take 2001?)
> 554 5.3.0 "|/export/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test"... unknown
> mailer error 2

>From Mailmans README.INSTALL:

Problem:  I send mail to the list, and get back mail saying,
          "unknown mailer error".

Solution: The likely problem is that you are using the wrong GID or
          UID for mail.  Check your syslog.  If you see, for
          example, a line like:

          Attempt to exec script with invalid gid 51, expected 99

          You need to reinstall Mailman, and specify $MAIL_GID to
          be 51, as described in the installation
          instructions. see notes on Postfix below, as by default
          it will create these problems on installation.

----

> 2. my mailman is running on another machine named lists.xyz.com running
> its own copy of http, aside from my real http server. How will I
> configure all mailman transactions to point to lists.xyz.com and not to
> xyz.com, as you can see the above email address is xyz.com and not
> lists.xyz.com., even the senders address is xyz.com.

This should be mainly a question of configuring your MTA.  There's currently
a discussion about virtual domains in this mailing list, which might help
you.

frank

Frank Thommen, IT Support Group, D-INFK, ETH Zuerich
E-Mail: thommen at inf.ethz.ch; Tel: +41-1-63 27208 (Mo-Do)
Web: http://www.isg.inf.ethz.ch