[Mailman-Users] Announce only lists

Simon Gatrall simon at SwivelSystems.com
Fri Mar 22 11:50:59 CET 2002

My company's ISP only seems to support Mailman.  At first that seemed
fine, but the more that I look into it, the more it seems like the
wrong choice for my needs.  I have a list of customers that have
asked to be apprised of news from my company.  This is an announce
only list that I only plan to use a few times a year.  This isn't a
spam list.

Mailman can sort-of do announce-only lists, but it isn't well suited
for that.  For one thing, user passwords make some sort of sense if
the list is a daily part of someone's life, but they are completely
unnecessary and inappropriate for my use.  Mailman also needs to make
the "unsubscribe" method dead simple.  If I just reply to an
announce-only list with the word "remove" or "unsubscribe" anywhere
in the message subject or body it should grant my wish.  Instead
there are EIGHT confusing headers to dig through to find the right
one.  This is just a lot of noise to most people.  And then you have
to figure out what your password is.  This is fine for geeks but not
for the average consumer.  (This is coming from a geek that has been
using and programming computers since '78 and has been on the net
since '87.)

I do like the fact that Mailman will track bounces, keeps archives,
and provides a basic web based interface for administration and users
alike.  Is there a way to configure Mailman for my purposes?

Simon Gatrall
President
Swivel Systems

mailto:simon at SwivelSystems.com