[Mailman-Users] re Mailman

Ron Jarrell jarrell at vt.edu
Sat Mar 30 05:32:54 CET 2002

At 12:53 PM 3/27/02 -0600, schuetzen - RKBA! wrote:

>in re your url at http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/MM21/features.html
>
>I have about a dozen elists on Yahoogroups and would love to get them off
>there
>and onto a webhost (which I am also looking for) but I really and truly
>like ALL
>the features of YHG's email software.
>
>I would like to see - in Mailman
>attachment stripping

in 2.1

>html stripping

In the plans for a good solution - until then, there's a user contributed
solution that you
can run as a filter before handing the message off.

>firewall, etc protection.

Umm, that has nothing to do with mailing lists.

>a good program like Norton Internet Security to protect the list

Again, what does a firewall have to do with mailing lists. Are you looking
for a *virus scanner*?  Way beyond the scope of an MLM - that's more a system
level issue.

>notice to moderators of new members, new messages of moderated members

I don't remember if the messages specificaly go to moderators too, but
notice of
member operations has gone to the admin since probably day 1.  Moderated
messages
certainly do.

>member moderation

Yup, in 2.1.

>member banning

2.1

>list of banned members stored with a reason given for each

The list is stored.  No explicit reason field is there, but most of those
fields allow for comments in the box, you could try that (I.e. # Something)

>list of bounced and the bounces

Not from the web interface.  The bounce log keeps track of who bounced,
and the score will tell if you it was hard or soft, if mailman is set to
process
bounces.  If you want to see all the bounces, turn that off.

>ability to toll the bounced to see if the address is live or not

In 2.1 after it turns someone off, it sends periodic (configurable) reminders
to the person telling them they're disabled, with a url they can click to
renable
themselves quickly.  After another (configurable) while, it'll give up on
them and
delete them.