[Mailman-Users] It's working :)

Dan Mick dmick at utopia.West.Sun.COM
Wed May 1 23:46:14 CEST 2002

> I do find myself wondering why more if this can't be automated by an
> installer and ready-to-run binaries, but that's just my win background -
> It's easier for admins to spend company money on software licenses I
> guess than to roll up the shirt sleeves and fight with it.

It mostly has to do with "coming from radically different sources,
and administered by different people".  On Windows there tends to
be one way to do things; in Unix, you are likely to be running Sendmail,
but that's certainly not given.  And just because you're installing
a mailing-list manager doesn't mean you have privileges to modify
the mailer on the machine, so they're separate steps.

It's sorta more like being a tenant in a building rather than the
super; for some things, you gotta get the super's attention, or
have him delegate the responsibility to you, so the generic
install process leaves them as separate steps because it can't
assume you are both tenant *and* super.

That said, there *is* some automation to install aliases, but it's
evolving, and better for Mailman 2.1, because the problem is common
and recognized.

(And the name's Dan.)

> Turns out my GID for the mailing was 99, I found this out by mail that
> bounced, the recommended script for us Postfix'ers "python -c'import os;
> print os.getgid()'" returned 538...not sure why, but wanted to report
> that to the developers.

To be honest, I don't understand those instructions.  It seems to
me that creating the alias file using postalias doesn't help with the
ownership issue, but I've never used that method of adding aliases;
I use Postfix, and I stick with manual edits to /etc/mail/aliases
as I'm used to, and everything's happy.

I'll ask on mailman-developers about what that section of INSTALL
is supposed to be recommending.