[Mailman-Users] It's working :)

John W Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Thu May 2 23:37:42 CEST 2002

At 9:58 -0400 5/2/2002, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:
>If someone with more time and knowledge about rpms, debs, pkgs (does
>Solaris still use these?), and whatever the *BSDs and MacOSX's use
><wink> wants to contribute pre-built binary packages, I will make
>their availability more visible on the download pages.

Mac OS X has available to it a package system called (unfortunately) fink.
I've elected not to use it, since it does a whole bunch of things in not
the regular Mac OS X way.  My memory says....er...oh, yes, my memory says
it uses the Debian packaging system.

Apple uses its own installer system which seems to be quite error prone
(one Mac OS X update wiped some users' drive(s) due to an unquoted file
path...it only hurt users with spaces in their volume names...especially
*leading* volume names).  And they seem to have blundered again a day or
two ago with an application upgrade.

Of course, if one leaves the errors out of the installer packages...

I would build Mailman from source on Mac OS X (after building Exim, since I
have no intention of letting port 25 traffic into a machine running
sendmail:  we abandoned sendmail before I learned more about its
configuration than fear).

  --John

--
John Baxter   jwblist at olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA