[Mailman-Users] The moderation/SPAM queue

Barry A. Warsaw barry at zope.com
Sat May 18 00:01:23 CEST 2002

    EAM> So I'd been thinking that having a "collapsed" view would
    EAM> help with that.  On the other hand, if 2.1 will offer options
    EAM> to default non-subscriber messages to "discard," as a recent
    EAM> message implied 2.1 would, or even just drop them silently
    EAM> without ever telling me, that might be better.

Actually, MM2.1 will have both.  It will group held messages by sender
and show you a summary on the main admindb page.  You can bulk
approve, reject, or discard all messages from that sender in one
action.  Of course, you can still look at the details of any
particular message to get the MM2.0.10 view of the held message.

Additionally, if the sender is a member of the list, and their
moderation flag is set, you can clear the flag at the same time you
bulk approve their held postings.  Use this for lists where you want
to quarantine members before you allow them to post unmoderated.

If the sender is /not/ a member of the list, when you take a bulk
action on their held messages, you can add them to one of 3
automatic-disposition categories of non-members: approve, discard,
reject.  Add a non-member to the reject category and Mailman will
always bounce messages from that sender without you (the admin)
needing to take any action.  Add them to the discard category and the
message is chucked without a notification going to the sender.

In addition, you can set up a ban-list for non-members.  Say
spammer at evil.corp is becoming a pain and you auto-discard them.  You
might want to ban them from subscribing so they can't subvert your
admin holds by going that route.  If they try to subscribe they get a
bounce.

-Barry