[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1b2 installed and working (almost).

Rob Brandt rbrandt at sbdsl.com
Fri May 24 18:27:14 CEST 2002

>On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 11:29:18PM -0700, Rob Brandt wrote:
>
>>  I've gotten Mailman 2.1b2 installed on my new linux server.  It's using
>>  Postfix as an MTA.  I can create lists, but an error is generated.  The
>>  list does exists, and I can edit it and everything.  But it seems that
>>  there's a problem with creating aliases for it.  See the error page pasted
>>  in below.
>>
>>  I suspect that it's a permissions problem, but at this late time of night,
>>  I can no longer see the forest for the trees.  Initially I did get in the
>>  infamous 'wanted uid 99, got 48' error.  Miraculously, I remember getting
>>  that when I installed v2.05 last summer, and the solution to run apache as
>>  uid/gid nobody.  Here's the error page:
>
>[snip]
>
>>  RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias
>>  /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases (status: 1, Operation not permitted)
>
>Is /usr/sbin/postalias the correct path to postalias?

Yes.

>How are the
>permissions set for /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases?

u = root, g = root.  I also tried it as mailman and nobody.  chmod
u=rwx, g=rx, all=rx

Also, /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases is correct, u=root, g=mailman,
chmod u=rw, g=rw, all=---

Interestingly, I just tied it again to see the errors, and I noticed
that 'aliases' had been 'touched'; the modification time was current.
I then browsed the aliases for Postfix and sure enough, all the
familiar aliases are listed there.  So it does seem to be creating
the aliases.  So now I'm confused about what the error page is
telling me.

>I have virtually the same setup working fine here, so it's probably
>just a permissions mismatch, as you say.

That's comforting to know.  Thanks for your help.

Rob