Solved! Re: [Mailman-Users] Problem with archives

Dave Weiner davew at coyotetechnical.com
Fri May 31 00:38:23 CEST 2002

Dave Weiner <davew at coyotetechnical.com> said:

> I've got a strange problem with the archives.  Mailman 2.0.10, Python
> 2.2 on a Red Hat 7.1 box.  Apache is configured correctly (all web
> features except the archive work), the list is working, etc.
>
> When I go to the list archive page (either public or private), I get
>
> You can get more information about this list or you can download the
> full raw archive ( 155 KB ).
>
> Currently, there are no archives.
>
> When I check {prefix}/archives/private/list.mbox/list.mbox, message are
> getting added as they're sent.
>
> runing check_perms reports no errors.  Running {prefix}/bin/arch
> listname generates the flowing output:
>
> Pickling archive state into
> {prefix}/archives/private/listname/pipermail.pck
>
> Yet I still get the "Currently, there are no archieves." message.  I've
> checked {prefix}/archives/private/listname/index.html and it's not a
> caching issue.  It appears that even arch isn't generating the web
> archive.  But I've looked at the mbox file.  All the messages are there,
> and are getting added...
>
> I've checked the FAQ's.  I've read the docs.  I've searched as best I
> could the list archives, and I'm not finding anything.  I've tried doing
> a rebuild and reinstall.  Nothing seems to work.  I'm stumped.  Anybody
> got any ideas?
>
> Dave

The problem was that I was running all mail for the list through
SpamAssassin using the spamc/spamd combination, and spamd was set to
strip the very first "From" line from each message, so when Mailman went
to generate the archive, it didn't find a properly formated mbox file.
Once I removed the -F0 line from spamd and added From lines to each
message, the archvies are now working.

I think this might be one for the FAQ.

Dave