[Mailman-Users] installation difficulties

Kyle Rhorer rhorer at swbell.net
Tue Nov 12 01:00:59 CET 2002

On Monday 11 November 2002 17:26, Emil Volcheck wrote:
> Question: do the aliases for individual lists as well as the
> "mailman" and "mailman-owner" have to be in /etc/aliases or
> /etc/aliases.db or does it suffice to put them in the MySQL (?)
> databases used by Postfix?

The standard location for the aliases file in Postfix as delivered by
Red Hat is /etc/postfix/aliases[.db].  If you (either knowingly or
unknowingly) also installed Sendmail then you will have an /etc/aliases
as well, but don't be fooled.  Postfix does not use MySQL out of the
box -- you would have to configure it to do so.

> The problem I'm encountering is that a posting to the list results
> in error code 1:
>
> ---
> ...Command died with status 1:
>     "/home/mailman/scripts/post concerns"
> ---

I assume you've checked to see that /home/mailman/scripts/post exists?
You don't mention which version of Red Hat you're using, but the
Mailman RPM that comes with the 7.x series puts everything in
/var/mailman.  Make sure your alias shouldn't be
/var/mailman/scripts/post concerns.

> Nov 11 09:23:01 2002 qrunner(15283):      precedence =
> msg.get('precedence', '').lower()
> Nov 11 09:23:01 2002 qrunner(15283): AttributeError :  'string'
> object has no attribute 'lower'

I've seen this error before but I don't remember how I fixed it.  Make
sure everything is up to current versions (Mailman and Python in
particular).  You might have better results getting the source code for
the current Mailman (2.0.13 IIRC) and compiling it yourself instead of
using Red Hat's RPM.  I had a lot of trouble with Mailman on Red Hat
7.2 and 7.3 until I compiled it from source, and it's been running
absolutely trouble-free since.

Kyle
--
Since the general civilizations of mankind, I believe there are more
instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual