[Mailman-Users] Eliminating access to the web interface/unsubscribing

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Wed Nov 20 16:54:24 CET 2002

At 16:46 20/11/2002 +0100, Emmanuel Seyman wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 10:10:40AM -0500, Don Becker wrote:
> >
> > I have a perfect happy Mailman installation that handles several mailing
> > lists.  Recently, my boss came to me to ask if I knew of a way to set up a
> > mailing list under Mailman where the users cannot unsubscribe.

The answer to this is "no". You can disable the web interface but, short of
editing the code, you can't remove the ability of users to unsubscribe by
email. The documentation suggests that, if this is what you want, the best
option is to simply set it so that you get automatic notifications of
anyone unsubscribing.

>I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question but I would
>really like to know why the fsck someone would want to have a
>mailing list where the users can't *unsubscribe* .

If you wanted to use Mailman (or any other list manager) to handle internal
"all staff" mails instead of just using a cc list or alias expansion, then
you want to stop people unsubscribing. You wouldn't, obviously, want to do
this for external mailing lists.

Mark