[Mailman-Users] Beta upgrade FAQ or How-To?

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Wed Oct 2 04:39:01 CEST 2002

Larry Rosenman wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-09-30 at 14:46, G. Armour Van Horn wrote:
> > I've decided that it's time to make the jump to the beta, and I'm wondering if anyone is maintaining
> > any guides for the process. I have a new list to setup, which will be my first with a virtual domain,
> > but I also have a dozen current lists to preserve.
> >
> > I assume that this is touched on in the docs with the package, but would like to at least look at
> > anything else out there before I actually tackle the change.

> it was a no brainer.  just make sure that you have Python 2.2.1, and do
> the right scripting to start it.

Okay, I've spent four or five hours trying to figure out how to get Python 2.2.1 installed with no success
at all. Every attempt is met with a long string of unmet dependencies. If I have to upgrade the blasted
machine from RedHat 6.2, which works perfectly well in this context, in order to move forware with MailMan
I'm going to have to rethink the whole idea.

I did find a RedHat 6.2 RPM for  Python, but reports:
error: failed dependencies:
        libcrypto.so.2 is needed by python2-2.2.1-1
        libexpat.so.0 is needed by python2-2.2.1-1
        libssl.so.2 is needed by python2-2.2.1-1

Are those likely to be in one of the other Python RPMs, like python2-devel or python2-tools? Or will those
just expose six hundred more dependencies?

Van

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,