[Mailman-Users] duplicating a mailman list?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Oct 20 06:05:30 CEST 2002

D'oh!  My bad... I meant ~mailman/bin/config_list

===
  Configure a list from a text file description.

Usage: config_list [options] listname

 --inputfile filename
 -i filename
  Configure the list by assigning each module-global variable in the
  file to an attribute on the list object, then saving the list.  The
  named file is loaded with execfile() and must be legal Python code.
  Any variable that isn't already an attribute of the list object is
  ignored (a warning message is printed).  See also the -c option.

  A special variable named `mlist' is put into the globals during the
  execfile, which is bound to the actual MailList object.  This lets you
  do all manner of bizarre thing to the list object, but BEWARE!  Using
  this can severely (and possibly irreparably) damage your mailing list!

--outputfile filename
-o filename
  Instead of configuring the list, print out a list's configuration
  variables in a format suitable for input using this script.  In this
  way, you can easily capture the configuration settings for a
  particular list and imprint those settings on another list.  filename
  is the file to output the settings to.  If filename is `-', standard
  out is used.

--checkonly
-c
  With this option, the modified list is not actually changed.  Only
  useful with -i.

--verbose
-v
  Print the name of each attribute as it is being changed.  Only useful
  with -i.

--help
-h
  Print this help message and exit.

The options -o and -i are mutually exclusive.
===

Sorry about the mis-fire, I meant that you can create nice templates for
mailing list types (or styles) using:
   ~mailman/bin/config_list -o <filename> <listname>

Then edit <filename> to only modify the specific configuration option of
a mailing list that you want changed.  Any configuration option deleted
from the file will be left alone on the list that you feed this back
into. You feed these settings into a list by using:
   ~mailman/bin/config_list -i <filename> <listname>

Hope this is more helpful!

Jon Carnes

===