OFFTOPIC Re: [Mailman-Users] Archive URL in postings (2.1b3)

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Tue Oct 29 19:56:39 CET 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> I think that filtering method is flawed, personally. I filter all list
> mail into a folder, using list-id, sender, mailing-list (damn you,
> yahoogroups), and occasionally a weird header from some funky list
> server that doesn't come near the standards except in leap years.
>
> that way, I know what's in my personal mailbox is personal mail. Even
> if it's a reply I got from a posting to a mail list. That allows me to
> carry on a discussion on a list in a timely manner, even if (for
> instance) I don't read the mail in the list folder for a while. Like,
> well, this discussion...

This doesn't work in a few situations:

1) You are using an email system which removes duplicates (based on
the Message-Id header).  Microsoft Exchange 2000 is one such system.
If Mailman is changing the headers so much perhaps it should stick a
new Message-Id on the message though.

2) You want replies to your messages to show up in your mailman-users
folder (or whatever), but colored in a different manner.  I do this.
If I'm away for a while and want to catch up on a folder I just scan
for cyan messages.  I don't want public replies to messages that I
posted on a mailing list to end up in my private inbox.

At best this should be a user option.  I checked, but it isn't there.

The only advantage that I see for putting the user's email address in
the To line (vs another header or the footer) is that it slips by the
default anti-spam rules on Hotmail and other products that assume
bcc'd messages are spam.

alex