OFFTOPIC Re: [Mailman-Users] Archive URL in postings (2.1b3)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Oct 29 20:20:13 CET 2002

On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 10:54  AM, Jay Sekora wrote:

> Well, obviously I can tell in this context that it isn't true, but
> that's
> what the semantics of seing my address in a To: or a Cc: header are for
> me.  What do *you* think the connotations should be?

well, To: is who the email is sent to. CC: are other interested
parties. From a practical necessity, we've put the list in as a CC:
because otherwise you break replying to the list completely, which is a
Bad Thing (so there's theory, and thre's making clients work as they're
currently implemented.)

> Whatever the merits of your arguments about what headers I should be
> using
> to filter which lists, the fact is that taking something the original
> composer of the mail entered in the To: field and moving it to the Cc:

But you're making a false assumption here, that the list was in the to
line. That's not a safe assumption. it could be in to, cc or bcc. Just
as you could be in to, cc or bcc. if you're assuming where the
addresses are, you'll break at random occasions when users don't follow
your ideas of appropriate. What mailman is doing is standardizing where
that stuff ends up on redelivery, so if anything, it's more reliable
than the existing system, which is random but assumes a certain
behavior.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui at plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

Stress is when you wake up screaming and you realize you haven't fallen
asleep yet.