personalization features (was Re: [Mailman-Users] Archive URL in postings (2.1b3))

Gerald Oskoboiny gerald at impressive.net
Tue Oct 29 20:27:16 CET 2002

On Tue, Oct 29, 2002 at 09:50:16AM -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 09:12  AM, Gerald Oskoboiny wrote:
> >
> >ouch!
> >
> >Is this feature enabled by default? If so, I urge you to reconsider.
>
> No. and I wouldn't expect it to be in 2.1.

whew.

> but I think it ought to be considered an indication of "future
> directions in thinking". hint hint.

<marge>hmmmmm...</marge>

> >I think the use of this feature should be strongly deprecated,
> >like reply-to munging.
>
> why? I'm curious. Other than it's "not what I'm used to"?

I agree with almost everything Jay Sekora has written in this thread.

When I look at the headers of a message, I expect to see them as
they were composed by the message author. I don't think MLMs
should alter the contents of important headers like To:, From:,
Cc:, Subject:, Message-Id:, Reply-To:, except in very rare cases.

--
Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald at impressive.net>
http://impressive.net/people/gerald/