OFFTOPIC Re: [Mailman-Users] Archive URL in postings (2.1b3)

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Wed Oct 30 05:08:58 CET 2002

On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 07:52  PM, bronto wrote:

> But yours is a situation where you *can* influence the client.  If a
> business tells it's customers they have to change mail clients the
> proper response would be "who do you think you are, Microsoft?".  And
> they'd be right, too.

Sorry, disagree. I think it's perfectly legitimate to say "these are
the only tools we can support, because these are the only ones we've
tested and know work to our standards. If you don't use them, we can't
guarantee they'll work right".

If you think we can influence our user base, you don't know our user
base. but what we CAN do is set groundrules that point out where our
sphere of responsibility ends. then it's up to the user whether or not
to tread into unsupported waters. Because tehy want to doesn't make it
our responsibility to support it.

--
Chuq Von Rospach, Architech
chuqui at plaidworks.com -- http://www.plaidworks.com/chuqui/blog/

Very funny, Scotty. Now beam my clothes down here, will you?