[Mailman-Users] archive stats

John Buttery john at io.com
Tue Sep 3 11:58:34 CEST 2002

* "Waldchen, Erick (VIPTechSprt)" <ewaldchen at globalcomputer.com> [2002-08-28 16:58:23 -0400]:
> Thank you for the very excellent Mailman.  It's been rock-solid for the past
> 5 months I've been using it.  My only wish is for a way to generate
> statistics on list how the list is being used. (top posters, top subjects,
> top posting times, etc.) My users really get into the "numbers" thing, if
> you know what I mean ;)  If I was a programmer I would try to write
> something that parses the archives and would generate an HTML stats page,
> but I don't have the skills for something like that.  Does such a program
> exist for Mailman? I've searched extensively online but haven't found
> anything yet.  Thanks for your time,
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Erick Waldchen

  Well, I could be off (and if I am, I'm sure someone will fl^H^Hpolitely
correct me), but I think you are barking up the wrong tree, approaching
this as a Mailman issue.  From what I can work out in my head, Mailman
is simply an email multiplexer; it doesn't really have a concept of a
coherent set of past messages.  However, you may want to look into
something that can work on a Pipermail archive; also, on the archive
page for my list (and I assume yours as well) there is a link where you
can download a full archive of every post ever sent to the list, which
should be parseable by anything that speaks mbox.

--
john at io.com (John Buttery)
drat, I broke my sig script AGAIN!