[Mailman-Users] Internal Server Error

Barry A. Warsaw barry at python.org
Wed Sep 4 03:45:11 CEST 2002

>>>>> "marina" ==   <marina at reliance.it> writes:

    marina> Thank you, I know that. Sorry if I didn't make my question
    marina> clear enough. What I would like to know is if there's any
    marina> clues on what might cause 500 server errors when a list
    marina> administrator tries to update the admindb queue.

    marina> I maintain the list, but have no access to the web server
    marina> logs, and the sie administrator hasn't been able to find
    marina> out what causes these random errors. I don't know, and I'm
    marina> only guessing here, but I would think that if the log had
    marina> an explanation of what happened, fixing the error wouldn't
    marina> be a problem for the site administrator.

    marina> Am I wrong in assuming that the error in the Web server is
    marina> caused by something mailman does, and could therefore be
    marina> avoided if we knew (and could fix) what mailman is doing
    marina> wrong?

It's possible, but it may not be a problem with Mailman.  Mailman only
needs to get a little ways into its driver script for it to be able to
give you better error reporting.  It's possible that it's a gid
problem, and for that, the web server logs should make that
immediately clear.  But if it only happens for the admindb pages and
not the other cgi's, I don't think that's it.

Without more detailed tracebacks or error messages, we'll just be
shooting in the dark.

-Barry