[Mailman-Users] Question:

hotmail user thomasdye56 at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 6 16:57:13 CEST 2002

The confirmation is in place, because, mm doesn't know for sure that
it was actually **you** who signed up, and not some "well meaning"
friend or pervert playing silly games. Without the confirmation process
anyone could go to unpteen number of signup sites and gratuiously
sign up your email address for enough email to fill your mail box in less
than an hour. With confirmation process, you only need to **not** reply
to the confirm, and, the request to join is never completed. Confirmation
message also tells  you the IP address where the request originated,
allowing you to report the pervert to their ISP or boss.

In the footer it's possible to incude something like:

tom